Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It's About Time

Hello Everyone,
It's time to learn about time!  Finally!  We've been doing some informal work on telling time throughout the year, but this week we began more formal instruction. I say formal, but I still like to make it fun and multisensory for the kids.  We began with an anchor chart (of course) brainstorming things we already knew about clocks and telling time.  Then it was time to make a giant clock together.  We used hula hoops for the face of the clock and cut out numbers and hands.  We arranged all the pieces and practiced telling time to the hour as a group.  Then we talked about the minutes in between the numbers on the clock.  We added hands to represent the 5 minutes.  We then talked about telling time to the half hour.  They could see that 30 is half way around the clock!  Then the kids had the opportunity to make a clock with their table groups. Each kiddo was responsible for certain parts of the clock.  When they got it put together, they could work together to show certain times.  During our ELA block we integrated our study of time by practicing a fun Time Chant! 









For a printable of our telling time activities click here!
Or click here! :)
Whoa!!  Gotta Run!!!  Still have house guests!!  Have a great night!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

15 comments:

  1. How fun! This must have made memorable learning!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so super sweet! Thanks for sharing this awesome time unit. I love your blog!!

    I hope you can stop by sometime & follow my blog!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! I have had trouble downloading your documents on Scribd. Have you ever considered Google Docs? I love these big numbers and hands. Would you be able to email them to me sometime? Thanks so much!

    Megan
    meganwheeler44@yahoo.com
    www.mrswheelerfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy! I am your newest follower. I just came across your blog and I wanted to let you know that you are AMAZING! I would love to be a student in your classroom. I teach 1st grade as well and I have come across many ideas that I can use next year.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your anchor chart and poem... I've found telling time to be more challenging for kids in a digital age. Will defiantly try these ideas along with the clock activity. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy
    Love your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a printable of the chant? thanks
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw how, but it won't let me do it free.
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally got it. Sorry to bother you. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this stuff! thanks! so excited to try the hoola hoop idea tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. Thank you so much for making it available on google docs. I will be using this with my kids in special ed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful lesson for free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much... all the way from Denmark! :-)
    I am grateful. Will use it in my math class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nancy,
    I just found your blog via Pinterest. I love the clock download. A couple of suggestions: could you make the 60 an 00 and the 5 an 05. That would help to be more accurate with telling the correct time. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got the hoola hoops! This is great! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!